TRAVIS PERKINS PLC
It serves a broad range of end markets from generalist to specialist propositions in the building, construction and home improvement markets via a number of brands including Travis Perkins, Keyline, Benchmarx, BSS and Wickes.
Like many businesses, the Covid-19 pandemic acted as a catalyst for change within Travis Perkins and has provided the opportunity to accelerate various strategic initiatives to strengthen the core of the business and position them well for the future.
Having recognised resilience as a critical theme in the development of colleagues moving forward, the business wanted to embed a common language around and approach to resilience, based on a scientific approach and using simple yet effective language, tools and techniques. Travis Perkins therefore engaged with Delta V Partners in order to deliver and embed a resilience programme initially for their regional directors.
The first population to go through the programme were 80 regional directors from the Travis Perkins and Benchmarx brands, as a way of providing acknowledgement and support during a tough year in business. The programme has been extended to 603 branch managers, 100 sales managers and 20,000 colleagues via online learning, following recognition of its potential to help create a genuine competitive advantage moving forward. Keyline is also sending 100 senior managers through the course.
Sponsored by Travis Perkins Managing Director Kieran Griffin, the initial programme took place in Q4 2020.
Modules were delivered via Zoom, with sensing technology used to gather insight and feedback. Live coaching via WhatsApp was used to extend learning and provide additional support.
The course adopts an engaging and innovative delivery style, providing both time and space to reflect and also ensuring that interaction is high, with activities and ongoing live support ensuring maximum impact on participants and ultimately, business.
- Stress triggers identified and addressed resulting in the systematic reduction of risk of poor mental health across the business
- Increased psychological safety and wellbeing through the provision of safe, confidential space that positively engages individuals to consider their current context, emotion state and make informed choices to improve their wellbeing (RQi 1:1 coaching)
- Preventative approach to managing burnout and poor mental health by building resilience
- Improved openness, inclusivity and emotional awareness by challenging attitudes, beliefs and habits
- Confidence to communicate and express emotions
- Confidence to have 1:1 conversations that focus on emotion, as well as task, increasing engagement and performance
- Increased focus on strengths (flow) and leveraging them to increase resilience, engagement and performance
- Bringing balance to the fast-paced delivery culture by creating space for reflection and developing the habit of reflection individually and as teams
- Improved lifestyle choices - exercise, nutrition, down-time and sleep.
Such was the success of the programme that Travis Perkins plc has commissioned it for a further two brands in the Group, Keyline and BSS.
In a further cascading of the programme within Travis Perkins, 603 branch managers and 100 sales managers are also undergoing the course and a specially created online learning system is being implemented in order to support 20,000 colleagues to develop workplace resilience.